Saturday, March 16, 2013

Surely.

Sort of like monsoon season, 
Dissertation Season is upon me in fullness.

My calendar's mapped out, every moment is accounted for.
I've told all of my friends: I'll see you in May.

This dissertation is a beast.

And I am a tender, vulnerable, terrified little lamb.

Yet, somehow, the beast is not devouring me...

...Let me tell you why.

~~~~

Earlier last week I noticed something:
When I brought home the darling on the left, it reached out its arms to me, looking for my love.

But, by the next day?
It had figured out I was not the source of its strength, nor was I likely to sustain it well.  And so, it turned its arms to the Source of all Strength, to the Sustainer of all created things.

I looked at that precious thing, reaching out for Light, 
and something inside of me called out:

Do that.  Reach out, for the One.

So, I did. 

In the deepest places of my heart, I spoke the truth of Psalm 17:
I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
    turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
Show me the wonders of your great love,
    you who save by your right hand
    those who take refuge in you from their foes.

And now, I am watching Him, showing me His wonders.

He is teaching me, 
leading me, showing me, helping me.

The One who provides for the birds of the air,
is providing for me.

The One who is a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and the rain,
 is sheltering the tenderest, most terrified parts of me.

And He is saying:
It's time to tie together loose ends, it's time to end this Season well.

And so I can say, without fear, without doubt:

This dissertation might be a beast,
but I am feeling fierce.

Surely.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah for dissertation season! Surely!

Mom said...

I knew surely that this final Dissertation Season would produce a blog, so I came looking :-). Praying for additional strength and focus for you as you see this time to it's good and fruitful conclusion. I love you so much and am excited for what God has in store for you in the seasons He has planned which lie ahead. And I'm grateful for the family He has provided for you in and around State College & for the love & care they show you which distance prevents me from doing as well. Looking forward to the day we can all celebrate this Season Finale together :-). Love you -