For instance: This year the conference was held at Ohio State, a drivable distance from the Happy Valley (unlike Year 1: Iowa and Year 2: Minnesota). Hence, we packed ourselves into a van and tooled along Route 80 for a mere six-and-one-half hours.
The highlights: Madlibs (pictured here with the venerable Robert Kenneth Docker presiding). The lowlights: The lunchtime pit stop at Burger King. It turns out a whopper jr. is pretty much yucky in any state.
We arrived at our hotel in time to check-in, change, and hop on the bus shuttles provided to take us over to the campus for the kick off reception. (Every year is kicked off by a reception of yummy eats and delectable drinks, and general milling around for the purposes of reconnecting with those you've connected with in previous years.)
The real fun, however, begins with the annual pool tournament.
It may go without saying, but doctoral types tend to be competitive types. Hence, we find our way to a local pool hall, get ourselves some beer, and get down to business.
I typically don't represent my school on the
The highlights: Our very own Mr. Docker and Dr. Gardner made it to the final rounds. The mediumlights: That meant that I was sitting in a pool hall at 2 am. The lowlights: Sleep?
However, the next day began bright and early, with plenty of good coffee provided by our hosts. We listened to brilliant people talk about brilliant things, and my little brain was going haywire as I connected what they were saying to what I am thinking about these days. My "dissertation notebook" (as I have come to call it) is fuller, I am delighted to report. (I would be even more delighted if I could just hand in my "dissertation notebook" and have them hand me back a diploma. I think the system would be much more useful if this was its practice....)
Late in the afternoon, after all the brilliant people finished talking, the up and coming brilliant people lined up their research posters in a beautiful room in Ohio State's beautiful new library. This would include Yu-Chen, Yi-Ting and myself. (You can't see it from here, but our nametags say "up and coming brilliant person" on them. They believe in putting on the pressure in the CIC. They have standards to meet after all...)

I can only speak for myself, but it was a fruitful time of conversing with faculty about the value of our work. (It is also reassuring to note that our work was deemed valuable by those we talked to, as the alternative is much too depressing to think about for too long....)
However, the next day began bright and early, with plenty of good coffee provided by our hosts. We listened to brilliant people talk about brilliant things, and my little brain was going haywire as I connected what they were saying to what I am thinking about these days. My "dissertation notebook" (as I have come to call it) is fuller, I am delighted to report. (I would be even more delighted if I could just hand in my "dissertation notebook" and have them hand me back a diploma. I think the system would be much more useful if this was its practice....)
The reward for the efforts of all brilliant people, up and coming and otherwise, was a delicious dinner at an Italian restaurant in downtown Columbus. Our table was situated right next to the band, so a few of our members naturally found their way into the ranks (i.e. Mr. Docker on fiddle with Dr. Gardner on bass guitar, as well as an occasional tambourine not pictured here). This was fitting, as Penn State does have a reputation (at this conference and otherwise) for making the party the priority. (Yes kids, we know how to have a good time.)
1 comment:
Great report! I especially like the low, medium and hight-lights analysis!
Root for "old-fashioned sleep", I really need it... :)
Post a Comment